The Contra Mundum Christianity & Culture pages provides perspectives and resources for the study of culture and the theory of culture based on Christian principles. We present some of the more important writings on this topic from the past century as well as contemporary opinions on current issues.
The presence of material here—especially that of neo-orthodox writers—does not mean that we endorse it, but that we consider it important, and worth taking into consideration. The reader, therefore, should read critically and wisely.
Books—Christianity & Culture
About the format
Most of these book files were created from scans and converted to Adobe Portable Document Format as graphic images. Adobe Paper Capture was used to make them searchable, but with some word recognition errors. A few were created using OCR, and these have the original page numbers indicated with brackets in the text for those who need to cite the pages in their research.
Calvin and Common Grace (78 k)
G. W. Bromiley
Christianity and History (2.9 MB)
Jacques Ellul – International Jacques Ellul Society
E. L. Hebden Taylor
The New Legality (283 k)
T. Robert Ingram
- The Burden of God: Studies in Wisdom and Civilization from the Book of Ecclesiastes (694 k)
- Impulse of Power: Formative Ideals of Western Civilization (2 MB)
Francis Nigel Lee
Are the Mosaic Laws for Today? (706 k)
The Etienne Gilson Series 23
Daniel O’Conner and Francis Oakley, eds.
Klaas Schilder – Project Neocalvinisme
- God wants you to Learn, Labor, and Love (679 k)
- Hope for Europe: 66 Thesis (513 k)
- Hoffnung für Europa: 66 Thesen (578 k)
- Human Rights Threatened in Europe: Euthanasia – Abortion – Bioethics-Convention (235 k) : Cover
- Law or Spirit? Galatians Between Legalism and Antinomianism (442 k) : Cover
- The Persecution of Christians Concererns Us All (478 k) : Cover
Henry R. Van Til
The Calvinistic Concept of Culture (3.5 MB)
E. C. Wines
About the format
Most of these files are in Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf). Some articles are from scans of paper originals and created from the graphic images. Adobe Paper Capture was used to make them searchable, but with some word recognition errors. A few were created using OCR, and these have the original page numbers indicated with brackets in the text for those who need to cite the pages in their research. Others are from text originals.
Dr. George M. Ella
Martin Bucer Seminar, MBS Texte 9, Reformiertes Forum, 2004
Martin Bucer Seminar, MBS Texte 19, Reformiertes Forum, 2004
Thomas K. Johnson
Martin Bucer Seminar MBS Texte 12, Hope for Europe, 2004
Martin Bucer Seminar MBS Texte 108, Pro Mundis, 2008
Christ and Culture (900 k)
Martin Bucer Seminar MBS Texte 79, Theological Accents, 2007
Deceptive Philosophy (387 k)
Martin Bucer Seminar MBS Texte 16, Spiritual Impulses, 2004
Martin Bucer Seminar MBS Texte 81, Philosophical Initiatives, 2007
Martin Bucer Seminar MBS Texte 107, Pro Mundis, 2008
Martin Bucer Seminar MBS Texte 34, Theological Accents, 2005
Martin Bucer Seminar MBS Texte 63, Theological Accents, 2006
Martin Bucer Seminar MBS Texte 40, Philosophical Initiatives, 2005
Sex, Marriage and Science (412 k)
Martin Bucer Seminar MBS Texte 46, Pro mundis, 2005
Martin Bucer Seminar, MBS Texte 97, Theological Accents, 2008
Civics & Government
Major General George S. Patton and General Lewis W. Walt
Jeffrey R. Snyder
Blum & Dudley
Law & Theonomy
An Eastern Orthodox writer
God’s Law (15 k)
Greg L. Bahnsen
Glenn Peoples – Theonomy Online
The Christian and the Law (67 k)
J. Ligon Duncan, III
G. Joseph Gatis
- Confessions of a Harvard-Trained Witch Hunter: An Analysis of Judge Samuel Sewall’s Confession of his Role in the Salem Witch Trials (96 k)
- John Owen’s View of Substantive Biblical Law (118 k)
Contra Mundum No. 14, Winter/Spring 1995, pp. 2-14.
Contra Mundum No. 12, Summer 1994, pp. 13-19, 69.
Contra Mundum No. 13, Fall 1994, pp. 3-9.
Contra Mundum No. 15, Final Print Issue, pp. 2-8.
Walter C. Kaiser, Jr.
Chalcedon Report 1995.
Chalcedon Report 1992, Calvinism Today 1993
- Love is the Fulfilment of Law: With the Law Dies Love (31 k)
- Calvinism Today Vol. III, No. 2, April 1993
- A Reformed View of Law (25 k)
Calcedon Report February, 1996
T. Slater — The Catholic Encyclopedia
John W. Welch
Brigham Young University Law Review
G. I. Williamson
Religion & Social Theory
Président, Association Création, Bible et Science; Président, Association Vaudoise de Parents Chrétiens; Rédaction, Résister et Contruire
A. R. Kayayan – Reformed Faith and Life
Serbia Between Two Worlds (94 k)
- Pagan Philosophy, Unbelief, and Irrationalism (12 k)
- The Importance and Necessity of Special Revelation (40 k)
Bible & Theology
Assurance of Salvation (56 k)
Philip Edgcumbe Hughes
- Dispensationalism’s Eschatological Dilemma (57 k)
- Dr. Resnick’s modern day Oracle of Delphi (30 k)
- A Testimony of an Ex-Mormon (16 k)
Brian G. Mattson
Jorge Ruiz – Westminster Hoy